Introduction to A2 Coursework

My name is Amber Mota, candidate number 9114, and for my A2 Coursework I am in Group 1. I am working along side Shayam Utting (candidate number: 9164) and Alistair Price (candidate number: 9137) to create a music video. The links to my work are on the right-hand side and are entitled: A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation.


'Trip Switch' By Come What May



'Trip Switch' By Come What May

Front Digipak

Front Digipak
Front Digipak

Inside Digipak

Inside Digipak
Inside Digipak

Our Website - Please click the image to enter site

Saturday 13 September 2014

My Film Still Analysis Homework


Analyse your chosen shot and identify in what way it could be described as signifying your chosen genre?
 In this shot the character is pumping her fist in the air. This movement connotes that she may have achieved something or at least is happy about something, therefore highlighting the positive, upbeat nature of the shot. This positive emotive energy in the shot suggests the genre could be either drama, teen, romance or possibly even comedy. However, the wide framing of the shot creates a less attached and weaker emotional connection with the audience that would have been created if the film was a romance or drama. Therefore due to the less intense, yet still emotional connotations and school-like background signifies that a teen comedy is the most likely genre for this film.

What did you actually do to achieve the effect?
We achieved the clear representation of a school field through the props used in the scene (the football pitch and goal posts) and made sure her fist pump was clear to connote her positive mood.

How did you intend the audience to read or interpret your still – what meanings did you attempt to communicate?
I intended to communicate, to the audience, connotations of victory, pride and happiness through the fist pump. I also attempted to emphasis the school based narrative through the football field setting which is strong iconography of teen films.

Identify what is successful about your shot?
I think our shot is successful in connoting the school-like atmosphere through the use of a football field with pitch markings, the football post to the right of the shot and the football goal in the background.

What would you do slightly differently in hindsight?
 If I could redo the image I would choose a slightly tighter frame as I think that too much of the emotion on her face is lost due to the wide angle. Instead I would make it a long shot as that way you could keep her enough of her facial expressions without loosing the atmosphere of the location. Furthermore, I would make her fist pump more exaggerated and emphasize the excitement that she feels and would also brighten the lighting of the image dramatically as the mood is significantly dampened by the overcast sky.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Amber - an excellent analysis and strong evaluative points. I didn't really 'read' the shot as intended (I don't get the coat and it seems too dark to create the right genre connotations), but you write about it very effectively, nonetheless! A great start.

    ReplyDelete