Introduction to A2 Coursework

My name is Amber Mota, candidate number 9114, and for my A2 Coursework I am in Group 1. I am working along side Shayam Utting (candidate number: 9164) and Alistair Price (candidate number: 9137) to create a music video. The links to my work are on the right-hand side and are entitled: A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation.


'Trip Switch' By Come What May



'Trip Switch' By Come What May

Front Digipak

Front Digipak
Front Digipak

Inside Digipak

Inside Digipak
Inside Digipak

Our Website - Please click the image to enter site

Thursday 15 October 2015

R&P Post 4: Audience groups of interest*

There are two primary audience groups that I am very interested in; the UK market and fans of the rock genre. I have decided to follow up my interest by doing some research into facts and statistics as well as talking to different people from these audience groups.

The UK Audience



Firstly, the UK market is the world biggest consumer of music relative to its population with 1.6 album bought per head. This information is extremely surprising, considering that the UK industry is only the third biggest in the world and this information signifies that the UK market is highly lucrative. It also reveals that this market has strong potential to expand further; a good market to invest in. Furthermore, the UK music industry has originated whole music genres from punk to dubstep and grime. To me, this proves that the UK audience has very broad genre tastes, as well as an
adaptive and experimental nature.

For all of the reasons above, I think the British market is very important and will prove to be an essential part of my music video audience.

Fans of the Rock Genre

The second key audience group I am particularly interested in are fans of Rock. The main reason for my initial interest was the huge age range within this group as well as the variety of cultures and backgrounds of each different fan. In order to gain some valuable evidence of this, I have spoken to some people from within this fan base, (as well as some outsiders) to hear their opinions and music habits.

Here are the notes I made throughout the interviews:


In addition, I also did some research into the audience listening and purchasing habits. Firstly, in terms of album sales by genre, rock took up 33.8% of the market in 2013, beating pop music to the top spot by 2.8%. Secondly, in reference to streams by genre, rock beat pop once again (34.6% to 27.7%). In fact, the only time pop beat rock was in singles sales. From this I have learnt a lot about the Rock audience and that they tend to buy by album and use streaming as their alternative method of listening. This information will be crucial to my project when deciding on the marketing strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment